Today, we at Perceptive Travel blog got the news that we’re finalists in the journal Creative Nonfiction’s narrative blog contest. Check out the story that was submitted, Antonia’s How Sturdy is Your Sick Bag, which manages to be funny, gross and profound all at the same time.
It just so happens that I’ve been thinking more than usual about terrific travel narratives since I’m presenting at TBEX this weekend on travel writing on How to Up Your Game. (I’ll be your non-legendary writer representative on the panel, what what!)
So I’ve taken this as an opportunity to slough off all my other projects and spend hours upon hours reading travel blogs.
Since one of the projects I’ve slacked on is… well, my weekly missive here… that means you’re not getting any narrative from me today.
So instead I thought I’d share a few of my finds. Herewith are great travel pieces that I loved reading, along with a couple I’ve had bookmarked for a few years. I’ll be talking about what characterizes great travel writing in my talk , and will reference many of these and probably a few more — if you search #tbex10 or #tbex on Twitter on Saturday you can follow along.
- Notes on Doing Errands in Patagonia on Operating on Stoke
- Stalking Karl Rove on Your Life is a Trip.com
- Reefs of Pollen on the Carrizo Plain on Notes From the Road
- Places Are Like People on Cuaderno Inedito
- Scandinavia 2002 on Nowhere Magazine
- Mint and Djinns, on World Hum
- Echoes of Our Ancestors on Your Life is a Trip.com
- Beach Philosophy on Moloka’i on Nerds Eye View
- Omakase: My Sushi Go 55 Experience on Once a Traveler
- Special Education: The Semi-Retard’s Guide to Learning Italian on Perceptive Travel (Sorry folks, can’t resist throwing one in from the home team.)
- Beware of Hawks on Perceptive Travel blog (Well, shoot, while I’m at it…at least I’m not picking one of my own.)
Alison J. Stein
Latest posts by Alison J. Stein (see all)
- Retreat into Silence - January 21, 2014
- Between Fascination and Nausea in Philadelphia - January 7, 2014
- Travel Writing that Made Me Not Hate Travel Writing - December 10, 2013
- Breakfast in Detroit - November 19, 2013