If you’re in Nashville, Tennessse, the answer is simple, at least for men – when you want to go, go to the Heritage Hotel restroom. Turns out that the hotel’s distinctive Art Deco men’s room, commonly known amongst the locals as Nashville’s most unique and elegant restroom, is simply the best. That’s what tens of thousands of people who voted in Cintas annual “America’s Best Restroom” contest seem to think.
The ‘America’s Best Restrooms’ contest has been running for the past 7 years, with nominations from a wide cross-section of businesses, including restaurants, hotels and casinos across the United States.
The top 10 for 2008 are…
1. The Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, TN – featuring leaded-glass tiles, authentic terrazzo floors and a shoeshine station.
2. 21C Museum, Louisville, KY – featuring one-way mirrors facing urinals, LCD screens with traveling images of eyes built into mirror above sink.
3. Brio, Rockford, IL – featuring a Women’s Room is themed as Heaven, Men’s as Hell: features custom mirrors, sinks, doors and floor, using a wide variety of materials.
4. The Signature Room at the 95th, Chicago IL – featuring sweeping views (located atop the 95th floor of John Hancock Center), custom woodwork, silver accent pieces and black & white photos from the 1930s.
5. Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, MA – it’s water theme features an array of hand-painted tiles and etched glass panels depicting sea creatures and plant life.
6. El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa in Taos, New Mexico -featuring walls covered in natural Portuguese cork and African Mahogany, a Slate floor and fossilized rock hand basins.
7. Grand Central Terminal in New York, New York – featuring Bottocino marble walls, Terrazzo seamless flooring, stainless steel doors, Stony Creek granite partitions, and sustainable light fixtures.
8. Jerome Bettis’ grille 36 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – featuring – custom marble/tile and a one-way mirror above the urinals, enabling patrons to monitor the 50 High-Definition televisions located in the bar.
9. The Montville Inn in Montville, New Jersey – featuring River rock stone walls, wine bottle infused in glass fiber reinforced concrete, and a mirrored waterfall, with a built-in television.
10. Iowa 80 Truck Stop in Walcott, Iowa – known as The World’s Largest Truck Stop, its’ restrooms feature nostalgic signs and custom tile and the Women’s Restroom is adorned in pink with signs offering trivia and gender-specific advice.
And that’s just this years list. There’s also the America’s Best Restroom Hall of Fame which has details of the past seven years of winning restrooms…