Here’s a roundup of useful travel-related links for your Monday perusal:
Places to Visit
- The UK’s Telegraph on Peru: River cruise into the Amazon Basin (with a nice little embedded video.)
- Alternative Olympic games in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia.
- New Zealand’s Zorbing craze has reached Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
- Albania has a new UNESCO World Heritage site: the town of Berat. Hard to believe that the whole country was inaccessible until fairly recently.
- How to find English-language news and info in Hong Kong? Globespotters answers.
- Hot enough for you? No? Then travel to the world’s hottest destinations (temperature-wise.)
- While in Japan, indulge your ice cream fetish with some unusual flavors.
- Quilters and crafters will love the new Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska (hat tip Budget Travel.)
- Stalwart travel favorite: cruising the Greek islands. Not for you? How about cruising Panama and Costa Rica?
- In Savannah, Georgia – two perfect Southern meals.
- In Istanbul – 10 bargain boltholes.
- Last Saturday in July. Tokyo. Awesome fireworks on the Sumida River. Be there.
- A few years ago, we passed on an opportunity to visit the Kasbah du Toubkal in Morocco‘s Atlas Mountains. I can’t tell you how much it pains me to admit that.
Tips and Advice
- Is couch-surfing really just for “getting laid?” Those randy Aussies look for answers in the Sydney Morning Herald.
- Domino magazine decorating resources, organized by city (not that shopping for household stuff is at ALL important when one travels….)
- Lifehacker‘s Gina Trapani gives detailed, specific and useful advice on taking your laptop and other electronics to Southeast Asia, specifically Thailand.
- Man in Seat 61 shows you five cool alternatives to five high-end train trips.
- My Mother’s Day gift, an iPod, is about to get a load of National Geographic Traveler‘s country and city specific music playlists from iTunes.
The following two tabs change content below.
I'm a writer and speaker specializing in tourism, travel and social media. NHRA drag racing fan. Co-founder of Tourism Currents. U.S. Navy veteran. Caffeinated.
Latest posts by Sheila Scarborough (see all)
- Discovering Nashville at Hatch Show Print - November 20, 2014
- Mountainous Nebraska and the Oregon Trail at Scotts Bluff - October 22, 2014
- Can the Hotel Itself Be the Destination? - October 16, 2014
- 220 Tons of Daily Life in the 1850s: Steamboat Arabia - September 24, 2014