Here is this week’s collection of good travel info from around the Web and around the globe:
** What’s new in the countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain? (Remember it? If not, read Around the Bloc.)
- Postcard-perfect Vilnius, Lithuania
- Once and future glories of Albania
- Drug-resistant TB rates are soaring in former Soviet regions, so be careful if you travel there.
- Azerbaijan, the nicer side of Baku
- It’s the day after Easter; did you girls get your whipping in the Czech Republic or Slovakia?
** For the road warriors:
- protecting your laptop while on the road
- figuring out how to take your own photo when you’re solo
- finding places with Internet connections anywhere in the world
- learning what exactly is in that US passport file of yours (that the State Dept shouldn’t snoop through)
- and yes, even in Australia the higher-end hotels insist that we pay for crappy WiFi.
** The Open Skies agreement will open up options for US-Europe transatlantic air travel. If you’re going to Europe, check out the latest from Rick Steves about what’s new this year in major European tourist destinations.
** A true “reach” travel destination: North Korea
** Updates from the big city:
- The popular and unusual taxidermy shop Deyrolle in Paris suffered a terrible fire.
- Mexico City’s women-only bus can offer relief from unwanted Latin lovers.
- Award-winning New York magazine offers a mammoth Best of New York section.
- Check out cheaper lodgings; campgrounds in/around European cities.
- Instant weekend in Istanbul.
- From the experts – black cab taxi tours of London
** NOT the big city:
- Khasab, Oman (related PT post – Bahrain Rising)
- Out and about in tiny Alpine, Texas
- How to hike the Inca Trail
- How to get to the remote Midway atoll
- Top 10 Greek islands
- See Precious Ramotswe’s Botswana (from the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency)
- A quiet getaway to Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay
- 28 scenic Appalachian driving tours
** OK, all the maple leaf’d experts, leave a comment with your favorite European-like place in Canada.
** Finally, I’m hosting the Carnival of Cities over at Family Travel this week. You are invited to send in your (one) blog post about any aspect of any city by noon Central time on Tuesday, March 25th. Please keep it on topic and not spammy or overly commercial, and use the simple submission form on the main Blog Carnival site. Thanks!
Latest posts by Sheila Scarborough (see all)
- I’ve Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day at Detroit’s Motown Museum - March 25, 2015
- Favorite Travel Apps From SXSW Interactive - March 19, 2015
- How to See a Major Museum in One Hour - February 25, 2015
- Forever West in Cheyenne, Wyoming - February 19, 2015