Here are this week’s travel tips and links round-up, sorted by continent for easier surfing:
North and South America
** How about the excitement of bullfighting without the gore? You can find it during a weekend at California’s Academy of Tauromaquia, or bullfighting school.
** Now this is how you live the dream – Bruce Smith blogs about cruising the Caribbean, with an emphasis on great beach bars.
** Hard to believe, but spring is coming, so I wrote a short article for education.com about great US botanical gardens for kids (and grown-ups, too.)
** Cruising, fly-fishing and generally having a blast (with a few exceptions) in Chile.
** One of the best design schools in the US is the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in Providence, RI, and you can even shop for artsy goodies in their school store. I have my own 10 reasons to visit Rhode Island.
** If you’re stuck in a plane on a New York state tarmac for hours, you now have a few rights thanks to a just-passed law.
** Visit Portland, Oregon for book heaven – the Heathman Hotel’s lending library for guests.
Asia and Australia
** To go or not to go? Thoughts from the UK’s Guardian on visiting Burma and who is really hurt by a travel boycott.
** The Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre just opened in New Zealand (here on the PT Blog, Antonia had some thoughts about Hillary and how he inspired all of us to do more than just travel.) They probably won’t hang any bras or underwear on the building, though.
** A photography enthusiast? You should check out our man Steve Davey here at the PT Blog, or you can go on one of Ewen Bell’s in-depth photography tours in China, India, Thailand or his Silk Road tour. Wow.
** Thoughts on the volatile situation in Kenya:
- danah boyd, tech thought leader and PhD candidate, blogs about mobile phone credits as currency in Kenya.
- A guest post by Ellen Petry Leanse on marketing guru Guy Kawasaki’s blog – We got out of Kenya, but what about the people who live there?
- The Budget Travel blog on rethinking travel to Kenya.
- And video tech expert Robert Scoble answers the question: why don’t tech bloggers write about Kenya? The answer is personal connection.
** Smarter Travel brings us how to be a fashionista in Paris without high prices. While you’re there, check out this unique tour that highlights the special relationship between African-Americans and Paris. Gaping Void cartoonist Hugh MacLeod nails it with his recent cartoon about the artist’s life in Paris.
** What fun: brewery hopping in the Czech Republic.
** Are you a fan of the new Sweeney Todd movie? TimeOut and Warner Brothers have put together a free downloadable Sweeney Todd’s London audiowalk.
** We had a couple of posts featured in recent editions of blog carnivals.
- Mexican Pop Spot hosted the Carnival of Cities last week and included the PT Blog post about the Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum plus a post about 25 simply amazing mosques around the world, more good advice about hostels and a winter’s day at dramatic Point Reyes National Seashore (north of San Francisco.)
- Less Than a Shoestring has started a series of blog carnivals, organized by continent, so I also sent the Raumen post to their Travel on a Shoestring Asia/Australia carnival. Included in this edition was advice on saving money if you plan to attend the Beijing Olympics.
** The American Red Cross Safe and Well program can help you keep loved ones informed of your status in case of emergency. Hat tip to Lifehacker.
** Wow, hostels are opening that aren’t backpacker dumps! Of course, if you do end up on the hostel circuit, don’t miss Leif Pettersen’s hilarious Definitive Guide to Hostel Etiquette, which includes #5: “Do not have loud sex in the room while everyone is asleep and if you do, don’t get mad and demand “privacy” when the rest of us sit up and bemusedly watch.”
** Finally, the UK’s Times Online lists four cities that “do winter properly:” Boston, St. Petersburg, Stockholm and Vilnius. What, nothing south of the equator?
Latest posts by Sheila Scarborough (see all)
- I’ve Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day at Detroit’s Motown Museum - March 25, 2015
- Favorite Travel Apps From SXSW Interactive - March 19, 2015
- How to See a Major Museum in One Hour - February 25, 2015
- Forever West in Cheyenne, Wyoming - February 19, 2015